What is a Server? Server is in simple words - computer
In recent years, the word "server" is constantly on the Internet. However, only a few can clearly explain what a server is. What is a server. Detailed explanation in simple words about the purpose of servers and types of server. The server is a powerful computing computer.
The server is represented by a powerful computer that is used to collect, process and store various amounts of information, as well as to provide free access to it to connected client devices. Despite the similar configuration with a standard PC, the server has more powerful components and works around the clock.
The main purpose of the server
Depending on the need, the server can be used to perform one of various tasks:
- storing information for one or more sites;
- for efficient data exchange between several computers that are connected to the same network;
- to store corporate information and provide access only to certain employees after connecting through specific devices.
The list of functions is the most common. In fact, everyone can decide for themselves exactly what purposes they will use the server for. Therefore, we will consider several types and types of servers.
Server use cases
There are the following types of servers, depending on the task:
- WEB is the most common format used by millions of users every day.
- They are used to store a variety of information and all the content that the site is filled with. If necessary, any user submits an appropriate request for information, and the server sends data in HTTP format, the interaction does not stop for a minute;
- game - used to provide interaction between different players who start a certain game in the "multiplayer" mode;
- video server - used to store various files in video format. If necessary, any user can view files without downloading them to their device, which saves space on their disk;
- local area network - such a server provides limited access to data and is used in individual companies and firms. An unauthorized user will not be able to view the files without hacking the server, and a company employee, if necessary, can use remote access and view the necessary data;
- postal - used to exchange, store, send and receive various electronic messages. If necessary, the messages themselves can contain not only text files, but also photos and video files;
- FTP - server is used to store files and access them remotely using special protocols. Depending on the format being implemented, the data can be available both to a limited number of users and to everyone.
The list of servers doesn't end there. The most important thing is to ensure that the device is well protected so that an unforeseen failure cannot lead to the loss of information.